Vitamin C is a well-known and readily available vitamin that can be both topically applied as well as ingested depending on the product and requirement. As our bodies can neither produce nor store Vitamin C, it is essential that we ensure daily intake and skin application of this vital nutrient.
The recommended daily nutritional intake of Vitamin C is 40mg. This is fairly easy to achieve considering that the average orange is said to contain approximately 70mg of Vitamin C, Grapefruit 78mg, Kiwis 64mg and Strawberries 49mg. If your taste buds are into a more tropical vibe, Pineapple offers a whopping 114mg per 1.5cups.
This is important because Vitamin C is essential for survival. As an electron donor, Vitamin C is a potent and valuable water-soluble antioxidant in humans. Antioxidant functions are associated with lowering DNA damage and aiding in mitigating other areas of cell damage in the body. A requirement to the biosynthesis of collagen, Vitamin C plays a role in other functions of the body. One of the functions of collagen in the skin is as an important component in connective tissue and therefore necessary to the wound healing process.
When Vitamin C is in high concentration, the serum may have a yellowish orange colour. If the product is not stored or preserved correctly, Vitamin C oxidizes and changes into a browner colour. In a stabilized product, this does not always mean that the active is ineffective. Think of the colour of an orange that has been picked from the tree and left to rot. The yellowish orange colour of Vitamin C when acquired from a natural source can vary. You are undoubtedly aware by now that plants grow in a variety of different colours, even two plants of the same species can produce variations in colour. These variations can be attributed to a host of factors, these include: Country of origin, the soil conditions in which the plant has grown, enzyme activity, moisture content, heat, oxidation and more. Products containing a mixture of more than one variant tend to vary even more in colour. It is possible to extract Vitamin C from the peel, pulp or juice of the plants and this can also cause changes to the colour of the extract obtained.
Vitamin C plays both an active and supportive role when combined with Vitamin E (another important antioxidant for our bodies) as it lends an ion to enhance Vitamin E activity. This further impacts the colour of Vitamin C as part of the process of ion transfer involves oxidization of the Vitamin C molecule.
DermaFix uses high concentrations of Vitamin C in their Serums and Correctives which have been formulated to be stable and safely preserved. The efficacy of the Vitamin C is further protected by the use of our airless pumps which not only allow for optimal dosage dispensing, but do not allow the back flow of air and thereby avoids oxidization of our formulations. Our serums are naturally a delightful and effective yellowish orange colour indicating a high level of actives in DermaFix Vitamin C products.
Our star Vitamin C products in the DermaFix range are:
- DermaFix Vitaplex-C Cream – This moisturizer is an active collagen synthesis stimulant and revitalizing treatment. Containing generous amounts of Vitamin C, A, D, B5 and E, effectively provides a skin smoothing, lightening and anti-oxidant skin treatment while helping to stimulate the skin’s own protection against UV radiation and environmental stress. Natural herbal extracts, nourishing oils and amino acids provide moisturising benefits while activating skins natural collagen. Recommended for normal to dry, ageing, environmentally damaged and pigmented skins.
- Vitamin C Serum – An active Vitamin C Serum (using hydra-stabilized L-Ascorbic Acid) helps to reduce visible signs of photo ageing and helping to fight destructive free radicals. Also offering protection from destructive UV rays, these functions results in a skin that is retextured, toned, lightened, brightened and younger looking. Recommended for all skin types including mature, UV-damaged and hyperpigmented skins.
- ACC Vitamin C Gel – This high-potency formula of Vitamin C is a revolutionary anti-oxidant combination that delivers photo-protective capabilities, neutralizing free radicals, helping to build collagen and providing unmatched antioxidant protection. Resulting in lighter, brighter, more youthful looking skin. Recommended for ageing, pigmented skins and for the control of acne Grade 1&2.
- Ferulic + C + E – This incredible protective product is a must to apply during the day for further enhancing sun screen capabilities. Vitamin C is established as a skin brightener and superior antioxidant, mild keratolytic enhancing cell renewal. Effective for 72 hours after application. Recommended for all skin types for anti-oxidant protection.
- DermaFix Brightening Wipes – Offering a high potency additive for skin brightening and retexturising benefits. A combination of Arbutin, Kojic Acid, Vitamin C and Salicylic Acid in the form of a wipe saturated in this incredible exfoliating serum provides a unique delivery system to the skin. This is recommended for all skin types and particularly clients who are concerned with hyperpigmentation on the face or body.