You may have heard the adage that states, ‘the best way to tell a woman’s age, is to look at her décolleté, neck and hands’. This saying is not far from the truth as most of us tend to overlook caring for these unique areas when it comes to our daily skin care routine. Before we go any further, it is important to note that when we speak of the décolleté, we are referring to the area of skin on the upper chest area, including the neck, shoulders, and bust-line.
Something to understand is that this is a part of the body that ages quickly, and there are a few reasons why:
Firstly, the skin on the neck and décolleté differs from the face as it contains less oil, or sebaceous, glands, making this area of skin more prone to dryness and dehydration.
Secondly, structurally speaking, the epidermal and dermal layers found in the neck and décolleté are fragile, with very little subcutaneous fat to offer cushioning and, as such, is more prone to the formation of visible lines and wrinkles.
Living in a sunny country, like South Africa, we are constantly exposed to UV radiation, sun, and heat. Combine this with minimal to no sunscreen protection, and considering the fragility of the décolleté area, the effects of this sun exposure are amplified with resultant skin wrinkling, age spots, uneven skin tone and dilated capillaries. When it comes to the appearance of the décolleté, women are mostly affected by wearing clothes with V-shape necklines and clothing that leaves larger areas of the skin exposed.
Another contributor to notable damage on the décolleté, is the reduction in production of Elastin, a protein necessary for the construction of new blood vessels and connective tissue. Elastin is especially susceptible to breakdown in the presence of UV-radiation which in turn leads to sagging, wrinkly and lined skin. This is further exacerbated by sleeping on one’s side, enhancing the formation of these lines, while smoking and excessive exposure to free radicals is another contributing factor towards Elastin degradation.
Understanding what makes the décolleté so different from the face or the rest of the body, we can see why this area needs extra protection and care.
Here are a few tips when it comes to taking care of your décolleté;
- Use a gentle cleanser when cleansing the area daily. Harsh soaps can cause the skin to become drier while increasing skin sensitivity. The DermaFix Gentle Cleansing Gel is ideal for cleansing the décolleté, as it assists with calming the skin and effectively lifts away surface impurities without stripping the skin of vital moisture. Remember to follow your cleansing step with the application of a suitable DermaFix Toner. Toning helps to restore the optimal pH of the skin and improves the penetration of any actives applied.
- The décolleté, just as the rest of the skin, needs to be exfoliated. Be careful however to avoid over-exfoliation as this will damage the skin’s protective barrier leading to dehydration and a sensitized, reactive skin. Stay away from harsh mechanical scrubs, opting rather for enzymatic exfoliation options such as the DermaFix DermaPolish, which mild enough to use on all skin types.
- Pay special attention to the décolleté when applying your skin care products. The DermaFix SND Corrector has been carefully formulated to offer skin repairing benefits, making use of actives including Palmitoyl Tripeptide 5, a collagen booster, together with Vitamins A, B, C and E, working to re-educate the skin to function at an optimal level. DermaFix SND Corrector furthermore promotes elastin restoration and works to stimulate the wound healing response within the skin by way of collagen production, thereby improving skin firmness. These benefits make it an essential for anyone concerned with skin ageing.
- Daily application of an SPF is absolutely imperative in any skin care routine. Remember to apply and re-apply when necessary to any sun exposed areas including the décolleté. DermaFix Cosmeceutical Skin Care offers broad spectrum, high protection sunscreens protecting the skin against harmful UVA /UVB radiation. DermaFix DermaShield SPF40 is ideal for sensitive and reactive skin, while DermaFix DermaShield SPF50 provides water-resistant sunscreen benefits. DermaFix Ferulic + C + E applied before the sunscreen of your choice will additionally offer antioxidant protection for up to 72 hours!
- When applying perfumes, be sure to avoid applying directly to the skin on the neck area. Perfumes contain essential oils and extracts that may lead to sun sensitivity. This promotes the skin’s melanin response and in turn causes damage and hyperpigmentation. Apply your perfume to your wrist or areas of skin that are not exposed to the sun.
When you next perform your daily skin care rituals, remember that skin care does not stop at the jawline. Keeping these tips in mind will help keep your skin looking younger for longer. For further information on any of the above-mentioned DermaFix Cosmeceutical Skin Care Products, contact us on 0861 28 23 23 or visit www.dermafix.co.za