All skin care rituals start with cleansing, yet people put far more focus on serums, masques and other correctives. What many don’t realize is that without cleansing correctly, the ability of any treatments that follow can be hampered.
We cleanse to remove dirt, excess oils, makeup and other impurities on the skin’s surface. During the day, your skin is exposed to bacteria, pollutants, viruses and dirt. The process of desquamation also leads to the deposit of dead skin cells on the skin’s surface (Stratum Corneum). Cleansing removes these impurities and allows skin to function optimally. If you did not cleanse, your skin would be covered in a layer of dirt, oils and cells which make it difficult for other products to penetrate the skin properly. The Stratum Corneum is composed of the microbiome, acid mantle and lipid barrier which all work in harmony to form a protective outer layer on the body. Let’s take a look at the various reasons why cleansing correctly, with the correct cleanser is vital to your skin health.
Correct facial cleansing is important to help the skin maintain optimal level of hydration. Dehydrated skin looks and feels rough, wrinkled and aged. Cleansing helps to support a healthy skin barrier, thereby aiding in moisture retention and preventing trans-epidermal water loss.
Promote Clear Skin:
Sebaceous glands under the skin produce oil called sebum to protect the skin from bacteria and viruses as well as providing natural moisture to the skin. Hair follicles help to guide sebum up from the glands, allowing it to reach the skins surface. A build-up of skin cells and other surface debris can cause blockages of the follicle, trapping sebum, and dead skin cells. This blocked follicle is what we know as a blackhead. A lack of sebum on the skins surface allows bacteria to penetrate the follicle causing inflammation. This combination then leads to acne. Harsh cleansers are not recommended as they can disrupt the microbiome by stripping natural oils. This leads to an increase in oil production and a worsening of a problematic skin condition.
Benefits of Cleansing Correctly:
- Cleansing helps to keep your skin looking radiant and healthy.
- Cleansing helps treatment serums, masques and moisturisers to work properly.
- Cleansing helps to prevent blocked pores and create a refined pore.
- Cleansing encourages proper skin hydration and prevents the production of excess oils.
How to Choose the Right Cleanser for You:
The acid mantle is a film that is slightly acidic and won’t function correctly if it becomes too alkaline or acidic. This imbalance can lead to sensitivity, dryness, acne and even atopic dermatitis.
Low pH cleansers can gently cleanse the skin, balance the skin’s natural pH level and strengthen the skin barrier function. With so many cleansing products to choose from, here are some simple tips for selecting the one that’s just right for your skin.
- Have your skin professionally assessed so that you understand your skin type and condition. Never use cleansers that contain alcohol. People with oily skin need a cleanser with a lower PH level. For sensitive skin you’ll want a gentle cleanser free from fragrance and other irritants.
- The suspension in which the cleanser is formulated makes a difference to its efficacy on different skin types. Cream or milk-based cleansers are great for dry skin whilst gel or foam cleansers work well for oily skin types.
- If you wear makeup, you’ll want a cleanser targeted toward removal. This is where the ancient art of the double cleanse comes into your skin ritual. The first cleanser should be an oil cleanser utilizing a light weight oil such as Safflower and Hemp Seed oils.
- If you tend to sweat a lot from working out, a product targeting clogged pores would work best. Ingredients such as salicylic acid work well for this.
- Gentle cleansers cleanse well without affecting the acid mantle of the skin.
- DermaFix DermaPrep Pre-Cleanse: A light weight, deep cleansing water and oil soluble cleanser, ideal for the emulsification and removal of makeup and excess oils on the skin. Incorporate DermaPrep Pre-Cleanse into your cleansing ritual, prior to using your DermaFix Cleanser and Toner, ensuring superior penetration of active ingredients
- DermaFix Gentle Cleansing Gel: Formulated for normal, dry and sensitive skin, impurities will be removed effectively whilst skin is moisturised with natural botanical extracts.
- DermaFix Active Cleansing Gel: A deep cleansing oil-free formula incorporating alpha hydroxy and beta hydroxy acids which help to exfoliate dead skin cells and clean blocked pores. Ideal for congested, problematic skin that is not sensitive.
- DermaFix HydraSilk Cleanser: A light-emollient cleanser that works to lift away impurities whilst protecting essential lipids on the skin. Suitable for sensitized skin conditions including rosacea and inflammatory skin conditions characterized by dilated capillaries. This formulation emulsifies into a silky consistency and can be used as a waterless cleanser.
- DermaFix Brightening Cleanser: Composed of actives which inhibit melanin production reducing the appearance of pigmentation and age spots without being an irritant. Particularly effective in reducing hyperpigmentation, glycation and other signs of premature skin ageing.
- DermaFix Calming MicroFoam Cleanser: This hypoallergenic cleanser transforms into delicate bubbles, lifting impurities from deep within the pores to gently purify the skin whilst removing excess oils. The skin is left feeling refreshed and calmed with a visibly more radiant complexion. Can be used by all skin types and gentle enough to be used over the eye area.
Remember to include a DermaFix Toner in your cleansing ritual to complete the cleansing process and ensure the correct pH balance of the skin.