There’s no way around it, these days, we judge a book by its cover – and people by their looks. Of course, we know that beauty is only skin deep, but we cannot ignore the fact that, for better or worse, both health and beauty matters and it starts with healthy skin.
Like all organs of the body, the health and appearance of our skin will reflect the kind of lifestyle and dietary habits we follow.
So, what exactly is the secret to a glowing skin? As the adage says, you are what you eat, this is especially true when it comes to health. Eating a diet rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytonutrients and essential fatty acids is vital for a healthy body, but just as equally important for a healthy skin.
Lean proteins are essential for overall skin and body health as they provide the essential building blocks for maintaining collagen and elastin production. As such, lean proteins are also vital for wound healing. Vitamins provide much needed antioxidant protection against free radicals that cause damage within the skin, while minerals are used for cellular repair and healing that promote a healthy skin.
Some of the important vitamins and minerals include:
- Vitamin C, essential for collagen production whilst offering anti-ageing and skin brightening benefits
- Vitamin A, a skin corrector that helps keep hair, skin and nails supple
- Vitamin E sustains skin barrier health
- Zinc, a super healer
- Copper often used for its anti-inflammatory and anti-ageing benefits. This mineral has also been proven to offer antibacterial benefits and destroys 99.99% of bacteria within 2 hours of exposure.
- Essential fatty acids, or omega oils, plays an important role in maintaining cellular membrane and lipid barrier health within the skin.
Exercise is diet’s co-pilot here. Exercise boosts oxygen and blood flow to the skin, carrying all of those essential nutrients you eat straight to your skin cells. Moving your body will also relieve stress, and we all know that stress is not skin-friendly.
Besides diet, science has shown that the skin directly benefits when we topically apply these above-mentioned vitamins, minerals and proteins (in the form of peptides) to the skin. DermaFix Cosmeceutical Skin Care includes these within the following formulations:
- DermaFix Vitamin C Serum reduces the visible signs of photo-ageing by helping to fight destructive free radicals.
- DermaFix ACC Vitamin C is a high-potency Vitamin C formulation that delivers photo-protective capabilities, neutralizing free-radicals whilst helping collagen production and providing unmatched antioxidant protection.
- DermaFix Ferulic + C + E offers up to 72 hours of boosted antioxidant protection against free radical damage.
- DermaFix ACC Copper stimulates growth factors, activating stem cell proliferation for improved collagen and elastin production. Its antibacterial properties greatly benefit the skin during wound healing, assisting to minimise infection risks.
- MD Prescriptives Vitamin A Propionate and DermaFix ACC Retinol+ are scientifically proven anti-ageing formulations providing skin revitalization through the power of Vitamin A.
- DermaFix Bio-Effective Cream is an essential fatty acid blend providing barrier protection against skin ageing.
- DermaFix DermaShield SPF 40/50 formulated to include Zinc Oxide, meets all the necessary requirements as per the South African legislation and has been SANS 1557:2013 and ISO 24444, ISO 24443 approved
Hydration is just as crucial for the appearance of healthy and supple skin. Drinking an average of 8 glasses of water throughout the day provides your skin with much-needed moisture and helps to rid our bodies of toxins. The inclusion of a topical humectant such as DermaFix ACC Hyaluronic into your skin care routine will further assist to keep water locked into the skin, helping to maintain skin plumpness.
As much as paying attention to what we put into our bodies, we need to be just as vigilant when choosing what not to eat when wanting to create a healthy skin. Limiting sugar, salt, alcohol and refined carbs can be helpful for your skin. So, next time you reach for a snack, think about how it might feed into your health and the beauty of your skin.
For further information on the above mentioned products, or for any additional skin care advice, visit our website on www.dermafix.co.za, or call us directly on 0861282323.