Excessive Sugar Consumption linked to Collagen Damage – A cause of fine lines and wrinkles
We all know that a high sugar diet can wreak havoc on our waistline but have you ever thought of the long term affect it can have on the skin. High levels of sugar within the body can lead to a variety of skin care concerns including ageing.
When it comes to ageing, sugar consumption can be a large contributor towards fine lines and wrinkles, this is due to a process called Glycation. Glycation is when excess sugar binds to the collagen, causing collagen to cross link becoming stiff and inflexible, thereby compromising the structural integrity within our skin and in turn leading to premature ageing. Collagen and Elastin fibres are found within the skin and give the skin its plump, youthful appearance.
In order for collagen synthesis to occur the following components are important;
- Protein – key amino acids
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Copper Peptides (small fragments of protein)
- Growth Factors
- Zinc / Iron being co-factors in the synthesis of collagen
- Essential Fatty Acids
- Hyaluronic Acid
In addition to Glycation, ingesting high amounts of sugar can cause inflammation within the skin and body. This occurs as the body attempts to breakdown carbohydrates into glucose, leading to an increase in your insulin levels. When Insulin levels drastically increase it can inflame the tissues within the body resulting in the production of an enzyme, collagenase. This enzyme contributes to the breakdown of collagen and elastin fibres.
DermaFix Cosmeceutical Skin Care make use of a variety of actives within product formulations assisting to overcome the effects of glycation within the skin;
1) DermaFix Collagen Conformer can be introduced into your daily skin care regime to accelerate the restructuring of the dermis whilst offering an immediate tightening effect. DermaFix Collagen Conformer boosts collagen and elastin production, making it ideal for mature skin suffering from sagging and a lack of skin firmness.
2) In addition to the above mentioned anti-ageing corrective, one can incorporate DermaFix DeCeLeRate alongside the use of DermaFix Collagen Conformer. DermaFix DeCeLeRate contains age reversal peptides Matrixyl, Matrixyl ®3000 and Matrixyl® Synthé 6®, promoting the formation of collagen and elastin and improving the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
MD Prescriptives Vitamin A Propionate is converted into pure Vitamin A within the skin and known as the skin’s natural vitamin. It is transported to the nucleus of the skin cell where it accelerates cell proliferation, prevents the rise of collagenase (the enzyme that breaks down collagen), and increases the amount of new collagen formed to firm the skin.
4) Binding and retaining essential moisture within the skin is imperative in preventing ageing, DermaFix ACC Hyaluronic reduces fine lines and wrinkles caused by dehydration and plays an essential component of collagen.
5) DermaFix ACC Copper, consists of anti-microbial Copper Peptide providing anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. This ActiveCellCeutical is a stem cell and growth factor stimulator making it essential for the production of collagen within the skin.
If not for your waistline but instead your skin, opt for healthier dietary choices. For more information on the DermaFix Cosmeceutical Skin Care Products that assist in the prevention of ageing skin care concerns visit our website www.dermafix.co.za or contact us directly on 0861 28 23 23