Combating dry skin all year round with DermaFix Cosmeceutical Skin Care
Emollients used in skin care are essential for most skin types, and especially for those struggling with “winter skin” or dry skin. Emollients work to moisturise dry skin by increasing the amount of water held in the stratum corneum. Depending on the ingredients of the emollients, treating dry skin works either by occlusion (trapping moisture into the skin thereby slowing the evaporation of water), or by actively drawing moisture into the stratum corneum.
DermaFix’s Skin ResQ contains a mixture of occlusive ingredients, namely beeswax, emulsifying wax, and glycerol, and can be used in conjunction with a humectant (which draws moisture into the skin) such as ACC Hyaluronic Gel. This combination is necessary for many during the winter. The presence of hyaluronic acid in epithelial tissue has been shown to promote keratinocyte proliferation and increase the presence of retinoic acid, thus promoting skin hydration. Present in the extracellular matrix of basal keratinocytes, hyaluronic acid is critical to the structural integrity of the dermal collagen matrix. These benefits make hyaluronic acid a very effective topical humectant.
Hyaluronic acid helps to retain over a thousand times its weight in water within the cells of skin, making it an excellent moisturiser. This incredible ability to retain water results in improved skin texture along with a softening and decrease in wrinkles and ultimately the prevention of dry skin. Reduced levels of hyaluronic acid are known to accompany the ageing process and it is estimated that by the time we reach our mid-40s, the synthesis of hyaluronic acid is roughly half that which is required by the body. The most common application for hyaluronic acid is in anti-ageing therapy, particularly with cosmetic procedures such as the elimination of skin imperfections and wrinkles.
DermaFix’s Skin ResQ ensures a reduction of water loss by 98% compared to oils, hence moisturising the skin and accelerating regeneration of the skin barrier. Topically applied products are not inert to the surface, and emollients affect the structure of the stratum corneum and barrier function in complex ways that are only just beginning to be understood. DermaFix understands the need for individualisation of emollient treatment plans.
Dry skin types benefit by reducing the clinical signs of dryness, including roughness, scaling, itching, flaking, redness and tightness. Skin barrier strengthening properties also have an impact on delaying the effects of atopic eczema or rosacea.
Contact dermatitis is the medical diagnosis given to adverse inflammatory changes in the skin. Suspected allergic contact dermatitis can be investigated by patch testing, but even if allergens are identified, their presence in commercial preparations can be difficult to ascertain.
Sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) is a detergent and surfactant and has been used extensively in products for its thickening and emulsifying properties. Most manufacturers have removed this ingredient from their products, but some creams do however still contain it. For people with extremely dry skin, it is recommended that they should avoid soaps, bubble baths and excessively hot water, due to the lipids on the skin emulsifying, leaving the skin vulnerable. Vigorous rubbing can lead to increased irritation. Staying in the bath too long can cause waterlogging which disrupts the skin barrier function. One should apply DermaFix Skin ResQ alone or over DermaFix ACC Hyaluronic Gel immediately after bathing, in order to trap the moisture into the skin. DermaFix’s Skin ResQ can also be used as a soap substitute, applied to the body by hand or a washcloth and then rinsed off to aid the removal of organic matter and enhance the lipid coating on the skin.
In extreme cases, if required, additional comfort can be gained with DermaFix Argan Oil, which may be applied to the skin before applying Derma Fix’s Skin ResQ.
Products in the DermaFix range known to assist with Skin Dryness:
- HydraSilk Cleanser is a light emollient cleanser. It lifts away make-up and other impurities without stripping the essential lipids on the skin. A potent blend of French Sea waters, Aloe Vera gel and Botanical extracts to promote skin health and hydration. Hydra-Silk Cleanser is suitable for sensitised skin including rosacea.
- Hyalu7 Boost Hyaluronic Concentrate offers an advanced Hyaluronic acid formulation, incorporating an optimized ratio of 7 unique molecular weights to provide maximum hydration whilst stimulating hyaluronic acid production within the skin for deeper moisturisation and anti-ageing benefits. DermaFix Hyalu7 Boost works to improve skin firmness and elasticity whilst reducing water loss from the first application.
- ACC Hyaluronic Gel is a highly concentrated anti-ageing, moisture binding and skin repairing facial treatment. It slows down the ageing process, helping to re-plump and “fill in” wrinkles. Collagen is a vital protein of the human body and is responsible for 60% of the moisturizing process which is essential to keep the skins tone, youth, and elasticity. Due to ageing of the skin, the production of collagen decreases thus producing a loss of moisture.
- Argan Oil is an organic nourishing elixir obtained from the kernels of the Argan tree (argania spinosa) endemic to Morocco. Argan oil is a highly valuable skin care ingredient with regenerating and protecting properties to maintain skin’s youthful qualities and essential moisture.
DermaFix Argan Oil is 100% Pure EcoCert and Natrue organically certified Oil.
- BioEffective Cream is an extra nourishing, active revitalising, and regenerative skin treatment for mature, dry skin. Its unique qualities are based on the exclusive properties of exceptional botanical extracts, a complex of Vitamins and extra high content of selected nourishing oils.
- BioHydrating Cream is a highly effective lightweight emollient, moisturising, and rejuvenating cream. It is a great all-round moisturiser. Recommended for all types of non-problematic skin, it leaves skin soft and glowing. Excellent results are achieved when used with our skin care boosters. It contains the finest natural moisturizers including Hyaluronic Complex (Mucopolysaccharides), as well as cell communicating ingredient palmitoyl pentapeptide-4. This cream acts against skin dehydration and effectively helps to improve firmness.
- Skin ResQ is the next generation of a weightless nourishing emollient blend with Murumuru Seed Butter and CoQ10. This superior formulation offers anti-oxidant protection keeping the skin moisturised, hydrated and supple for the prevention of stretch mark formation on the body. Formulated for universal use, Skin ResQ rapidly penetrates the skin for all day protection, without the sensation of a greasy film.
For more information or for a referral to your nearest accredited DermaFix stockist, please contact us on 0861 28 23 23 or email firstname.lastname@example.org