A variety of acids are used within the formulations found in Cosmeceutical Skin Care Industry. Each of the acids in skin care products provide their own benefits and properties for the skin.
Primarily acids are known to resurface the skin however, there are exceptions to this rule. Below are some of the acids in skin care products that can benefit your skin:
- Hyaluronic Acid (HA) is distributed throughout epithelial, connective and neural tissues within the skin. Formed by amino acids, Hyaluronic Acid is found naturally within the skin and can be applied topically. The application of this ingredient offers the skin significant cellular proliferation and humectant properties, essential in effective skin care protocols. DermaFix ACC Hyaluronic Gel makes use of liposome encapsulated Hyaluronic Acid, a highly concentrated anti-ageing, moisture binding and skin repairing facial treatment. DermaFix ACC Hyaluronic Gel slows down the ageing process, helping to re-plump and “fill in” wrinkles. This makes the perfect combination when applied with peptides and ascorbic acid for skin rejuvenation and the reduction of inflammation.
- Ferulic Acid is a hyrdroxycinamic acid that is found in grains, fruit, and vegetables. An ingredient that boosts anti-oxidant protection when used alongside other anti-oxidants. It furthermore provides protection of skin integrity by helping to reduce hyperpigmentation spots, fine lines and wrinkles. DermaFix Ferulic + C + E combines Ferulic Acid with Vitamin C and Vitamin E, offering up to 72 hours of anti-oxidant protection assisting to function as a UV absorber and furthermore provides anti-carcinogenic properties.
- Vitamin C also known as Ascorbic Acid is an essential Vitamin for the health of both the body and skin. Telangiectasias can be the result of weak capillary walls often linked to a lack of Vitamin C within the body which causes changes in all blood –vessel walls. The capillaries that are mostly affected are those made of single cells that are cemented with minute quantities of connective tissues. When a deficiency occurs the capillary walls readily break down and blood is released into the tissues. Should the walls break near the surface of the skin the released blood discolours to produce a bruise. Vitamin C promotes collagen and elastin production through the stimulation of fibroblast cells and works as an anti-oxidant assisting to combat the free radical attack, often associated with cellular inflammation that leads to photo-ageing. DermaFix offers various formulations incorporating Vitamin C for the promotion of cellular health.
- Kojic Acid is often used for its ability to inhibit the growth of tyrosinase enzyme by chelating with the copper ion of the enzyme responsible for melanin synthesis. Additionally, it scavenges reactive oxygen species (ROS) that are excessively released from cells or generated in tissues or blood. A lesser known fact is that Kojic Acid is a powerful anti-oxidant and anti-bacterial agent. DermaFix makes use of this superior skin brightening ingredient within the DermaFix Brightening Wipes formulation helping to fade existing dark marks whilst preventing new pigment formation.
- Although Vitamin A Propionate is technically not an acid, retinol (Vitamin A) transforms into retinoic acid in the body. It stimulates collagen production and reverses free radical damage helping to correct signs of skin ageing, acne and MD Prescriptives Vitamin A Propionate provides the skin with a healthy dose of Vitamin A, revitalizing the skin at a cellular level.
Following the above-mentioned acids are the more well-known forms being hydroxy acids which promote skin resurfacing, each providing this benefit in addition to their own significant properties. This further highlights the understanding of Acids in Skin Care Products:
- Mandelic Acid extracted from Bitter Almonds is a stabilized alpha-hydroxy acid, now featured in many skin care products. This acid used in skin care products has a larger molecular structure than other AHA’s, and is therefore absorbed slowly reducing the risk of irritation on the skin or the potential to trigger hyperpigmentation. The anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial properties and its melanin-inhibiting benefits make it ideal for targeting acne, hyperpigmentation and signs of ageing. DermaFix makes use of Mandelic Acid in a variety of formulations including DermaFix DermaBright, launched into the DermaFix Range in 2004 making it a first on the South African Skin Care market.
- Salicylic Acid is an oil soluble beta-hydroxy acid known for its deep cleansing properties, flushing the skin of cellular build up and bacteria. DermaFix makes use of Salicylic Acid in combination with Lactic Acid, a mild AHA with humectant properties, within the DermaFix Active Cleansing Gel, ideal for acne and breakout prone skin care concerns.